Before you start a business, you will want to perform research, learn about the process, and plan for your launch.
– Business Start-Up Guide – produced by the WBRA and City of Worcester
– Starting A Business in Worcester (City of Worcester presentation)
– Simple Steps to Starting a Business (SCORE) can be downloaded here.
– Small Business Administration (SBA) Learning Center
CREATING A BUSINESS PLAN
A common mistake of new business owners is inadequate planning. Your business plan is your pathway to success. In addition, an effective business plan will be required of any loan application for new business owners. Below are some tools to help you develop your plan, but in addition, many of the WBRA member organizations can help!
– Check out the SBA’s web portal dedicated to writing a business plan.
– SCORE has created a generic business plan template, which can be downloaded here.
– Wells Fargo Free Business Planning Portal / Tools
Market research is a critical section of any business plan. You should assess the opportunities and risks associated with any prospective location.
– Worcester Public Library Small Business Resource Center / Research Databases
– US Census Business Builder to support choosing an optimal location
CHOOSING YOUR STRUCTURE
Did you know that there are a variety of business ownership structures for you to choose from? Learn about the different structures here.
Once you have determined the type of ownership structure that is most appropriate for your needs, learn how to register in the section below.